We are a non-profit entity, but delivering a high-quality event costs us money both for hiring well-trained schoolroom workers and for cleaning and repairing the equipment, so we charge to cover our costs. Therefore our prices vary depending on how large a team we need to send and how much of our equipment will be used.
If we come to you:
Prices are per day, regardless of how many groups of pupils visit the schoolroom during that time.
If your pupils come in their own costumes, our basic charges are:
£200 if each group has a maximum of 10 students
£250 if each group has a maximum of 15 students
£300 if each group has a maximum of 20 students
£350 if each group has a maximum of 25 students
£400 if each group has a maximum of 30 students
If your pupils use our costumes, there is a surcharge of £100, namely:
£300 if each group has a maximum of 10 students
£350 if each group has a maximum of 15 students
£400 if each group has a maximum of 20 students
£450 if each group has a maximum of 25 students
£500 if each group has a maximum of 30 students
We may need to add a travel surcharge if your location is very expensive for us to get to; if that is the case, we will discuss it before making the booking.
If you would like to do something not covered in the list above, please get in touch for a bespoke price.
We are committed to making ancient education accessible to all regardless of financial circumstances, so if your school cannot pay the regular prices, please get in touch to explore other options such as an uncostumed event in a normal classroom, or (for schools meeting the University of Reading’s Widening Participation criteria) a free or subsidised event with costumes.
Note the following about practicalities when we come to you:
- In order to set up our mobile schoolroom, we’ll need a hall, large classroom, or other indoor space at least 15 feet by 30 feet, with a flat floor, empty of furniture; we’ll need to occupy that space from at least 90 minutes before the first group arrives to at least an hour after the last group leaves. If you would like your pupils to do activities involving ink, the room should have a floor that can cope with spills (the ‘ink’ is really watercolour paint but can still stain a carpet).
- If your pupils use our costumes, each group needs a minimum of 75 minutes from when they arrive in the room we’re in to when they depart; we’ll also need several large tables near the schoolroom space.
- If your pupils come in their own costumes, each group needs a minimum of 60 minutes from when they arrive at the schoolroom in costume to when they depart.
- To do activities beyond the basic reading, writing, and maths, groups will need longer sessions; see Activities.
If you come to the University of Reading campus:
Prices are per pupil:
£10 per pupil for a visit of up to 2 hours; maximum group size 25
£20 per pupil for a full day (usually 5 hours); groups of up to 25 will spend the whole day in the schoolroom, while those between 25 and 50 will be split in half so that each group spends half the time in costume in the schoolroom and half the time uncostumed in another space.
Note the following about practicalities:
- On-campus visits are possible only on selected dates, which will normally be Mondays or Fridays in January.
- We cannot accommodate groups over 50 on campus.